Hierarchical composites by gluing of nano- and mesocrystals
Member of the SPP1420 from 2009 till 2013
In natural organic-inorganic composites such as bone or nacre, stiff but very brittle mineral crystals are joined by very soft but ductile organic materials. Due to a sophisticated hierarchical structuring and a well controlled coupling at the interface between the two components, these biological structures combine both stiffness and toughness. Inspired by these concepts, we want to develop biomimetic composite structures that are manufactured by gluing together mineral particles with polymers on two hierarchical levels. A combined approach of manufacturing composites with systematically varied structures followed by a detailed structural and mechanical characterization allows for optimizing the mechanical performance of the composites and is expected to bring new insights into the effects of the hierarchical structuring on the mechanical properties.These findings will be very useful to develop models describing the deformation behaviour of the bio-inspired composites. Furthermore, in contrast to nature which relies on a rather limited pool of available materials, we will also apply the derived structural concepts for technologically relevant, man-made materials.
- Tritschler, U., Kellermeier, M., Debus, C., Kempter, A., Cölfen, H. (2015): A Simple Strategy for the Synthesis of Well-Defined Bassanite Nanorods. CrystEngComm,17, 3772-3776.
- Tritschler, U., Van Driessche, A. E. S., Kempter, A., Kellermeier, M., Cölfen, H. (2015): Selektive Kontrolle der Bildung von Calciumsulfat-Polymorphen bei Raumtemperatur. Angew. Chem., 127, 4155–4159
- Tritschler, U., Van Driessche, A. E. S., Kempter, A., Kellermeier, M., Cölfen, H. (2015): Controlling the Selective Formation of Calcium Sulfate Polymorphs. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 54, 4083-4086.
- Tritschler, U., Beck, F., Schlaad, H., Cölfen, H. (2015): Electrochromic Properties of Self-Organized Multifunctional V2O5–Polymer Hybrid Films. J. Mater. Chem. C, 3, 950-954.
- Tritschler, U., Zlotnikov, I., Keckeis, P., Schlaad, H., Cölfen, H. (2014): Optical Properties of Self-Organized Gold Nanorod–Polymer Hybrid Films. Langmuir, 30, 13781–13790.
- Tritschler, U., Zlotnikov, I., Zaslansky, P., Fratzl, P., Schlaad, H., Cölfen, H. (2014): Hierarchically Structured Vanadium Pentoxide–Polymer Hybrid Materials. ACS Nano, 8, 5089-5104.
- Tritschler, U., Zlotnikov, I., Zaslansky, P., Aichmayer, B., Fratzl, P., Schlaad, H., Cölfen, H. (2013): Hierarchical Structuring of Liquid Crystal Polymer–Laponite Hybrid Materials. Langmuir, 29, 11093-11101.
- Zlotnikov, I.*, Shilo, D., Dauphin, Y., Blumtritt, H., Werner, P., Zolotoyabko, E. and Fratzl, P. (2013): In Situ Elastic Modulus Measurements of Ultrathin Protein-Rich Organic Layers in Biosilica: Towards Deeper Understanding of Superior Resistance to Fracture of Biocomposites. RSC Adv., 3, 5798-5802.
- Winter school within the DFG priority program 1420, Kerkrade, Netherlands, 23-26 March 2010, “Hierarchical composites by gluing of nano- and mesocrystals”, I. Dambowsky, I. Zlotnikov, B. Aichmayer, H. Cölfen, H. Schlaad (Oral Presentation)
- Gordon Research Conference on Biomineralization, New London, NH, USA, 15-20 August 2010, “Structure and mechanical properties of bio-inspired hierarchical composites”, I. Zlotnikov, A. Schenk, I. Dambowsky, H. Cölfen, H. Schlaad, P. Fratzl, B. Aichmayer (Poster)
- Material Science and Engineering Conference - MSE 2010, Darmstadt, Germany, 24-26 August 2010, “Structure and mechanical properties of bio-inspired composites made by gluing of laponite and copper oxalate particles”, I. Zlotnikov, I. Dambowsky, H. Cölfen, H. Schlaad, B. Aichmayer (Poster)
- 24th conference of the European Colloid and Interface Society, Prague, Czech Republic, 5-10 September, “Hierarchical composites by gluing of nano- and mesocrystals ”, I. Dambowsky, I. Zlotnikov, B. Aichmayer, H. Cölfen, H. Schlaad (Oral Presentation)