Hierarchical anti-adhesive surfaces by mimicking insect traps
Member of the SPP1420 from 2009 till 2013
Hierarchical anti-adhesion materials will be developed by mimicking the slippery zone of trapping organs of carnivorous plants from the genus Nepenthes that comprises three hierarchical structure levels. During the first funding period, we almost completed the structural analysis of all three hierarchical levels in fully developed pitchers, probed insect attachment on their surface and studied the specific adhesive properties of their first structural level. Mechanically stable biomimetic level 1 structures could be derived from microsphere monolayers. Phase transitions in polymeric solutions and swellinginduced morphology reconstruction in block copolymers were exploited to generate biomimetic level 2, and first composites of biomimetic levels 1 and 2 were realized. In years 3 and 4, the development of the structural levels 2 and 3 of the biological model during pitcher growth and the regeneration ability of structural level 3 will be studied. Physicochemical and local adhesive properties of the different structural levels of the pitcher will be characterized. The fabrication of composites and monoliths exhibiting biomimetic levels 1 and 2 by replication of microsphere monolayers will be further developed and optimized. The anti-adhesive properties of biological and biomimetic systems will be probed by established and novel techniques currently being developed. Implementation of biomimetic level 3, which will be based on results obtained in the upcoming funding period, will be shifted to year 5. Explorative activities starting in year 4 and later will include the fabrication of biomimetic level 1 structures exhibiting the same type of anisotropy as the lunate cells of level 1 of the biological model and the design of smart biomimetic anti-adhesive systems with switchable properties.
- Oelschlaegel, B., Gorb, S., Wanke, S. and Neinhuis C.: Structure and biomechanics of trapping flower trichomes and their role in the pollination biology of Aristolochia plants (Aristolochiaceae). New Phytologist 184, 988-1002 (2009).
- Gorb, S., Tynkkynen, K. and Kotiaho, J. S.: Crystalline wax coverage of the imaginal cuticle in Calopteryx splendens (Odonata: Calopterygidae). International Journal of Odonatology 12 (2), 205-221 (2009).
- Borodich, F. M., Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Fracture behaviour of plant epicuticular wax crystals and its role in preventing insect attachment: A theoretical approach. Applied Physics A 100, 63-71 (2010).
- Gorb, E. V., Hosoda, N., Miksch, C. and Gorb, S. N.: Slippery pores: anti-adhesive effect of nanoporous substrates on the beetle attachment system. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 7, 1571-1579 (2010).
- Wang, Y., He, C., Xing, W., Li, F., Tong, L., Chen, Z., Liao, X., Steinhart, M.: Nanoporous metal membranes with bicontinuous morphology from recyclable block-copolymer templates. Advanced Materials 22, 2068-2072 (2010); inside cover.
- Grimm, S, Martin, J., Rodriguez, G., Fernández-Gutierrez, M., Mathwig, K., Wehrspohn, R. B., Gösele, U., San Roman, J., Mijangos, C. and Steinhart, M.: Cellular interactions of biodegradable nanorod arrays prepared by nondestructive extraction from nanoporous alumina. Journal of Materials Chemistry 20, 3171-3177 (2010); cover story.
- Gorb, E. and Gorb, S.: The effect of surface anisotropy in the slippery zone of Nepenthes alata pitchers on beetle attachment. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 2, 302-310 (2011).
- Gorb, E. and Gorb, S.: How a lack of choice can force ants to climb up waxy plant stems. Arthropod-Plant Interactions 5, 297-306 (2011).
- Kuitunen, K. and Gorb, S. N.: Effects of cuticle structure and crystalline wax coverage on the coloration in young and old males of Calopteryx splendens and Calopteryx virgo. Zoology 114, 129-139 (2011).
- Voigt, D., Gorb, S. and Boevé, J.-L.: Superhydrophobic cuticle with a “pinning effect” in the larvae of the iris sawfly, Rhadinoceraea micans (Hymenoptera, Tenthredinidae). Zoology 114, 265-271 (2011).
- Boevé, J.-L., Voigt, D. and Gorb, S.: Crystalline wax coverage of the cuticle in easy bleeding sawfly larvae. Arthropod Structure & Development 40, 186-189 (2011).
- Benz, M. J., Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Diversity of the slippery zone microstructure in pitchers of nine carnivorous Nepenthes taxa. Arthropod-Plant Interactions 6, 147-158 (2012).
- Borodich, F. M., Galanov, B. A., Gorb, S. N., Prostov, M. Y., Prostov, Y. I. and Suarez-Alvarez, M. M.: Evaluation of adhesive and elastic properties of materials by depth-sensing indentation of spheres. Applied Physics A 108, 13-18 (2012).
- Borodich, F. M., Galanov, B. A., Gorb, S. N., Prostov, M. Y., Prostov Y. I. and Suarez-Alvarez, M. M.: An inverse problem for adhesive contact and non-direct evaluation of material properties for nanomechanics applications. Nanoscale Systems MMTA 1, 80-92 (2012).
- Rengarajan, G. T., Walder, L., Gorb, S. N. and Steinhart, M.: High-throughput generation of micropatterns of dye-containing capsules embedded in transparent elastomeric monoliths by inkjet printing. Applied Materials & Interfaces 4, 1169-1173 (2012).
- Xue, L., Kovalev, A., Thöle, F., Rengarajan, G. T., Steinhart, M. and Gorb, S. N.: Tailoring normaladhesion of arrays of thermoplastic, spring-like polymer nanorods by shaping nanorod tips. Langmuir 28, 10781-10788 (2012).
- Purtov J., Gorb E. V, Steinhart M. and Gorb S. N.: Measuring of the hardly measurable: adhesion properties of anti-adhesive surfaces. Applied Physics A 111, 183-189 (2013).
- Gorb, E. V., Baum, M. J. and Gorb, S. N.: Development and regeneration ability of the wax coverage in Nepenthes alata pitchers: A cryo-SEM approach. Scientific Reports 3, paper N 3078 (2013).
- Kovalev, A. E., Filippov, A. E. and Gorb, S. N.: Insect wet steps: loss of fluid from insect feet adhering to a substrate. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 10, paper N 20120639 (2013).
- Rakitov, R. and Gorb, S. N.: Brochosomal coats turn leafhopper (Insecta, Hemiptera, Cicadellidae) integument to superhydrophobic state. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 280, paper N 20122391 (2013).
- Rakitov, R. and Gorb, S. N.: Brochosomes protect leafhoppers (Insecta, Hemiptera, Cicadellidae) from sticky exudates. Proceedings of the Royal Society Interface 10, paper N 20130445 (2013).
- Xue, L., Kovalev, A., Dening, K., Eichler-Volf, A., Eickmeier, H., Haase, M., Enke, D., Steinhart, M. and Gorb, S. N.: Reversible adhesion switching of porous fibrillar adhesive pads by humidity. Nano Letters 13, 5541-5548 (2013).
- Gorb, E. V., Purtov, J. and Gorb, S. N.: Adhesion force measurements on the two wax layers of the waxy zone in Nepenthes alata pitchers. Scientific Reports 4, paper N 5154, (2014).
- Gorb, E., Böhm S., Jacky, N., Maier, L.-P., Dening, K., Pechook, S., Pokroy, B. and Gorb, S.: Insect attachment on crystalline bioinspired wax surfaces formed by alkanes of varying chain length. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology 5, 1031-1041 (2014).
- Peisker, H., Heepe, L., Kovalev, A. E. and Gorb, S. N.: Comparative study of the fluid viscosity in tarsal hairy attachment systems of flies and beetles. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 11, paper N 20140752 (2014).
- Hong, S., Schaber, C. F., Dening, C., Appel, E., Gorb, S. N. and Lee, H.: Air/water interfacial formation of freestanding, stimuli-responsive, self-healing catecholamine Janus-faced microfilms. Advanced Materials 26, 7581-7587 (2014).
- Xue, L., Kovalev, A., Eichler-Volf, A., Steinhart, M. and Gorb, S. N.: Humidity-enhanced wet adhesion on insect-inspired fibrillar adhesive pads. Nature Communications 6, paper N 6621 (2015).
- Filippov, A. E., Popov, V. L. and Gorb, S. N.: The functional significance of density and distribution of outgrowths on co-opted contact pairs in biological arresting systems. Philosophical Transactions B 370, paper N 20140032 (2015).
- Drotlef, D. M., Appel, E., Peisker, H., Dening, K., del Campo, A., Gorb, S. N. and Barnes, W. J. P.: Morphological studies of the toepads of the rock frog, Staurois parvus (family: Ranidae) and their relevance to the development of new biomimetically inspired reversible adhesives. Interface Focus 5, paper N 20140036 (2015).
Proceedings and Book Chapters
- Gorb, E. and Gorb, S.: Functional surfaces in the pitcher of the carnivorous plant Nepenthes alata: A cryo-SEM approach. In Gorb, S., ed.: Functional surfaces in biology, Vol. 2, Dordrecht, Heidelberg, London, New York, Springer, 205-238 (2009).
- Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Anti-adhesive surfaces in plants and their biomimetic potential. In Fratzl, P., Dunlop, J. W. C., Weinkamer, R., eds.: Materials design inspired by nature: Function through inner architecture, Cambridge, UK, RSC Publishing, 282-309 (2013).
- Xue, L., Steinhart, M. and Gorb, S. N.: Biological and bioinspired micro- and nanostructured adhesives. In Taubert, A., Mano, J., Rodríguez-Cabello, J. C., eds.: Biomaterials surface science, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 409-439 (2013).
- Gorb, E. V.: Effect of fracture behaviour of crystalline plant waxes on insect pad contamination (talk). 6th Plant Biomechanics Conference, Cayenne, French Guiana, 16-21.11.2009.
- Gorb, E. V.: Plant surfaces preventing insect attachment (invited talk). National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan, 16.04.2010.
- Gorb, E. V.: Plant surfaces preventing insect attachment (invited talk). Symposium “Bionik und Faserbasierte Werkstoffe”, ITV, Denkendorf, Germany, 19-20.05.2010.
- Gorb, E. V.: Plant surfaces preventing insect adhesion. FANAS Workshop “Understanding Adhesion: from Nature to Man-made Devices”, Alberobello, Italy, 11 – 12.05.2010.
- Gorb, E. V.: Absorption hypothesis: attachment of beetles to nanoporous substrates (poster presentation). 6th Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Conference, Cesme, Turkey, 15 – 18.06.2010.
- Gorb, E. V.: Reduction of the beetle attachment force on nanoporous surfaces (talk). Annual Meeting of the Society for Experimental Biology, Prague, Czech Republic, 30.06 – 3.07.2010.
- Steinhart, M.: Nanorod arrays containing nanocrystalline pharmaceuticals by nondestructive extraction from porous templates: A material platform for biomedical applications? (invited talk). International Symposium on Crystal Engineering and Drug Delivery System, Tianjin, China, 6.09.2009.
- Steinhart, M.: Arrays of functional nanorods by self-assembly in 2D confinement (invited talk). Shanghai Institute of Technical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China, 7.09.2009.
- Steinhart, M.: Arrays of functional nanorods by self-assembly in 2D confinement (invited talk). College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing, China, 8.09.2009.
- Steinhart, M.: Beyond Evolution: polymers in holes and holes in polymers - in memoriam of Ulrich Gösele (invited talk) Workshop nano09, International Iberian Nanotechnology Institute, Braga, Portugal, 10.12.2009.
- Steinhart, M.: Mesoscopic structure formation of polymers in cylindrical nanopores (invited topical talk). Symposium „Crystallization and Self-Assembly“, DPG Spring Meeting 2010, Regensburg, 22.03.2010.
- Steinhart, M.: Design of polymer nanorod arrays with self-ordered nanoporous alumina hard templates (invited talk). 6th International ECNP Conference on Nanostructured Polymers and Nanocomposites, Madrid, Spain, 28 – 30.04.2010.
- Voigt, D., Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Nanostructured surfaces preventing insect attachment. International Industrial Convention on Biomimetics (talk). Berlin, Germany, 16-17.03.2011.
- Benz, M. J., Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Cryo-SEM study on the microstructure of the slippery zone in pitchers of nine Nepenthes taxa (talk). Microscopy Conference 2011, Kiel, Germany, 28.08-2.09.2011.
- Gorb, E., Purtov, J., Jacky, N., Gorb, S., Rengarajan, G. T. and Steinhart, M.: Reduction in the pull-off force on bio-inspired microstructured polymer surfaces (poster). International School and Conference „Bio-inspired Materials”, Potsdam, Germany, 18-23.03.2012.
- Gorb, E. V., Gorb, S. N., Rengarajan, G. T., Volf, A. and Steinhart, M.: Hierarchical anti-adhesive surfaces by mimicking insect traps (poster). International School and Conference „Bio-inspired Materials“, Potsdam, Germany, 18-23.03.2012.
- Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Plant surface with anisotropic frictional properties (poster). CIMTEC 4th International Conference on Smart Materials, Structures and Systems, Montecatini Terme, Italy, 10-14.06.2012.
- Purtov, J., Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Adhesive properties of anti-adhesive surface in Nepenthes (poster). Bionik-Kongress “Patente aus der Natur” 2012, Bremen, Germany, 26-27.10.2012.
- Rengarajan, G. T., Volf, A., Gorb, E., Steinhart, M. and Gorb, S.: Replica of microspheres monolayers as biomimetic anti-adhesive surfaces (poster). Junior EuroMat, Lausanne, 23-27.07.2012.
- Volf, A., Rengarajan, G. T., Gorb, E., Steinhart, M. and Gorb, S.: Hierarchical anti-adhesive materials mimicking the slippery zone of pitcher plant Nepenthes alata (poster). 16. Deutsche Physikerinnentagung, Freiburg, Germany, 25-28.10.2012.
- Purtov, J., Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Adhesion on the two wax layers in the slippery zone of Nepenthes alata pitchers (poster). European Conference on Intelligent Materials, Kiel, Germany, 25-27.09.2013.
- Volf, J., Rangarajan, G. T., Gorb, E. V., Steinhart, M. and Gorb, S. N.: Biomimetic antiadhesive structures mimicking carnivorous pitcher plant (poster). European Conference on Intelligent Materials, Kiel, Germany, 25-27.09.2013.
- Gorb, S. N.: Contact mechanics at the insect-plant interface: How do insects stick and how do plants prevent this? (key note talk). 22nd International Symposium of the German Botanical Society (DBG) “Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology”, Dresden, Germany, 24-27.03.2014.
- Gorb, E. V. and Gorb, S. N.: Effects of micro- and nanoscale surface structures on frictional properties of insect traps in Nepenthes plants (poster). International Nanotribology Forum “Friction and Wear at the Nanoscale”, Kochi, India, 6-10.012014.
- Gorb, E. V., Dening, K. and Gorb, S. N.: AFM roughness analysis of the waxy surface in the insect trap of Nepenthes alata plant (poster). Conference on Biological Materials Science “Bio-inspired Materials”, Potsdam, Germany, 18-21.03.2014.
- Gorb, E. and Gorb, S.: Plant surfaces preventing insect attachment (invited talk). Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, China, 29.09.2014.
- Gorb, E.: Plant surfaces preventing insect attachment (talk). Sino-German Symposium on Biomechanics “From Animal Sensory Systems to Locomotion”, Chengdu, China, 11-14.10.2014.
- Gorb, E. V., Baum, M., Purtov, J., Jacky, N., Gorb, S. N., Rengarajan, G. T., Volf, A. and Steinhart, M.: Gefahr in der Gleitzone: Hierarchische antiadhäsive Oberflächen durch Nachahmung von Insektenfallen. Labor & More 7, 26-32 (2012).
- Горб, Е., Баум, М., Пуртов, Ю., Йаки, Н., Горб, С., Ренгараян, Г., Вольф, А. и Штайнхарт, М.: Бионика: Опасность в зоне скольжения. Labor & More 1, 20-25 (2013).
- Gorb, E. V, Baum, M., Purtov, J., Jacky, N., Gorb S. N., Rengarajan, G. T., Volf, A. and Steinhart, M.: Tropical pitcher plant and biomimetics: Hierarchical anti-adhesive surfaces by mimiking insect traps // Lab & More 3, 22-26 (2014).
- Steinhart, M., Rengarajan, G. T. and Schäfer, H.: Körper aus einem Matrixmaterial sowie Verfahren zur Herstellung und Verwendung eines solchen Körpers, German patent DE 10 2011 053 612, issued 20 September 2012.